This crowd-pleasing, giant cheeseburger sub is made with the easiest keto-friendly dough and filled with cheeseburger meat, pickles and cheese. It's a delicious meal perfect for brunch, party or casual dinner!
You’ll Need:Cheeseburger filling:
- 1 tbsp ghee or duck fat (15 ml)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 400 g ground beef (14.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (15 g/ 0.5 oz) you can make your own mustard
- 2 tbsp sugar-free ketchup or tomato paste (30 g/ 1.1 oz) you can make your own ketchup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced sugar-free pickles (78 g/ 2.8 oz) you can make your own pickles
- 4 slices provolone, Monterey Jack, or cheddar cheese (113 g/ 4. oz)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (170 g/ 6 oz) - use low-moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese; not fresh mozzarella.
- 2/3 cup almond flour (66 g/ 2.3 oz)
- Heat a skillet greased with ghee over a medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant. Add minced garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned and opaque.
- Add mustard and tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then take off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 360 °F (fan assisted). Place the shredded mozzarella in a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes, checking once or twice, or melt on the stove over a low heat. Mix in the almond flour.
- Using a fork, combine well until you create dough.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until large enough to wrap around the filling (I used a silicon mat and silicon rolling pin).
- Using a slotted spoon, add the cooked cheeseburger meat mixture in the centre of the dough (do not add any excess juices from the skillet). Add sliced pickles.
- Top with cheese slices. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, make cuts about 1 inch (2 cm) apart on the long sides of the dough. Do not cut all the way to the filling but just within about 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the filling.
- Fold all of the strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side, and stretching the dough as needed.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes before slicing. Eat immediately while still warm. To store, refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Recipe makes 8 appetizers or 4 regular meals.